I had no idea what gnocchi was beforehand.
In Chef Chloe's cookbook, she uses sweet potatoes. Since I had no sweet potatoes, I used a regular potato. It was delicious!
There are many ways to eat gnocchi, as my friend, Sedonia, has shared with me.
- with creamy tomato sauce and basil
- with gorgonzola cheese sauce
- with olive oil
- with butter (which is what I did. ^^)
- with garlic
- with sage
When I tried a done gnocchi, I really wanted it paired with tomato sauce as a first instinct! I may make it again with a great tomato sauce next time! ^^
Ingredients (Makes 1 serving):
- 1 potato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- a splash of ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp olive oil/margarine/butter for cooking
1. Boil potato in water until soft. Pat dry with paper towel.
2. Mash the potatoes. Add salt, nutmeg, black pepper and stir well.
3. Add flour, a spoonful at a time, mixing well with a spoon to combine. Once a soft, slightly sticky dough has formed, divide it into 3 portions.
4. Roll each portion into a rope and cut them into little pillow pieces.
6. In a medium saucepan, heat oil/margarine/butter, and transfer the gnocchi from the pot into the heated pan. Let them cook, turning frequently, for 1~2 minutes.
7. Serve immediately with freshly ground black pepper.
Cooking these are really fun. I like the 'cutting the rope into little pillow pieces' part and throwing them in boiling water, to see them floating on the surface a few minutes later. I love things like that. Haha! I hope you will try making these delicious things!!! ^^