Monday 9 July 2012

Easy Delicious Potato Gnocchi


I was attracted to make these foreign objects when I saw them described as 'soft little pillows of potato heaven'. Haha!

I had no idea what gnocchi was beforehand.

In Chef Chloe's cookbook, she uses sweet potatoes. Since I had no sweet potatoes, I used a regular potato. It was delicious!

There are many ways to eat gnocchi, as my friend, Sedonia, has shared with me.



- with creamy tomato sauce and basil

- with gorgonzola cheese sauce

- with olive oil

- with butter (which is what I did. ^^)

- with garlic

- with sage



When I tried a done gnocchi, I really wanted it paired with tomato sauce as a first instinct! I may make it again with a great tomato sauce next time! ^^


Ingredients (Makes 1 serving):

- 1 potato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- a splash of ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp olive oil/margarine/butter for cooking


1. Boil potato in water until soft. Pat dry with paper towel.

2. Mash the potatoes. Add salt, nutmeg, black pepper and stir well.


3. Add flour, a spoonful at a time, mixing well with a spoon to combine. Once a soft, slightly sticky dough has formed, divide it into 3 portions.

4. Roll each portion into a rope and cut them into little pillow pieces.



5. Fill a medium pot with heavily salted water and bring it to a boil. When water is boiling, bring the heat down to a gentle simmer and gently drop in the gnocchi. When the gnocchi floats to the surface, they are cooked. Let them cook a little bit more for about 30 seconds.



6. In a medium saucepan, heat oil/margarine/butter, and transfer the gnocchi from the pot into the heated pan. Let them cook, turning frequently, for 1~2 minutes.


7. Serve immediately with freshly ground black pepper.


Cooking these are really fun. I like the 'cutting the rope into little pillow pieces' part and throwing them in boiling water, to see them floating on the surface a few minutes later. I love things like that. Haha! I hope you will try making these delicious things!!! ^^


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...