Made pesto soba for lunch yesterday~! This is completely vegan and super delicious! Please try it!!!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1/2 cup of raw cashew nuts
- 1 bunch of basil leaves
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped into tiny pieces (optional)
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 servings of soba noodles (or any other pasta)
1. In a pot, boil 1/2 cup of cashew nuts in water for 10 minutes until soft.
2. Blend cashew nuts, basil leaves, avocados, garlic, juice and olive oil until smooth.
4. Drain noodles in colander.
5. Toss noodles in a bowl of ice. Alternatively, you can just rinse them in cold water. This step is to make noodles springy.
6. In a big bowl, stir and mix noodles into pesto sauce.
7. Serve on 2 plates and garnish with basil leaves.
You can perhaps substitute nuts with other kinds of nuts, but cashew nuts are well-known for its amazing creaminess when blended. Vegans tend to use this nut a lot to make creamy things like puddings, ice cream, creamy sauce etc. It's so delicious and won't leave you feeling disgusted and bloated like when you sometimes have too much dairy cream. Definitely try it!
If you can't find any nuts, maybe you can get one more avocado. Remember to get ripe avocados with soft, creamy flesh! How to tell if an avocado is ripe.
Oil used should definitely be olive oil! It gives this noodles a great, fragrant taste!
You can substitute soba with any other kind of pasta. It would be just as delicious! ^^
This dish is so easy to make and is great for hot summer days! Please try it!!! ^^
Where to Buy:
- Basil Leaves (S$1.90) can be found in packs in Fairprice Xtra or Fairprice Finest~! ^^
- Raw cashew nuts can be found in Hockhuck Tonic Pte Ltd. They have a number of stores around Singapore. I would say, buying 200g would be more than enough. (S$3.20)